View previously played songs here!           Contact Us Today to Learn About Advertising Opportunities!!!           US102.3 - The Crossroads of Country and Rock          

National News
Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(PERRIS, Calif.) -- The California siblings allegedly held captive and tortured by their parents kept journals that likely hold "powerful evidence" in the case, the district attorney said in an interview with ABC News. He also opened up about the "courage" of the teenage girl who made a daring escape from the home.

David and Louise Turpin, accused of starving and shackling their 13 children, were arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment after the victims were found Sunday at their home in Perris.

The Turpins allegedly forced them to shower only once a year, never took them to a dentist, and strangled and beat them routinely, Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said Thursday. The Turpins have pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.

A lawyer for David Turpin told ABC News, "What we would like the public to know is that our clients are presumed to be innocent and that’s a very important presumption." He added, "We’re going to provide a vigorous defense."

'Deplorable' living conditions

Hestrin described the conditions in the home as "absolutely deplorable."

"When they weren't chained for punishment they were confirmed to small rooms ... that became like cells," he told ABC News. "It smelled. It's filthy. It's clear that some of the victims [who were] chained, they were not taken to the bathroom to relieve themselves."  

They were also not allowed to shower more than once a year and if the children washed their hands above the wrist, they were accused of playing in the water and were chained up, Hestrin said.

"These kids were supposed to be being homeschooled, but as far as we can tell they didn’t have much education," he added. "Their reading and writing abilities are very rudimentary, it appears. ... Some of the older victims did attend school public school in Texas up to the third grade, potentially."

The children were not allowed to have toys, although many toys were found in the house in their original packaging, never opened, Hestrin said.

The parents would buy food like pie and leave it out for the children to see but not eat, he said. The family would also sleep all day and stay up all night.

'Powerful evidence' in the siblings' journals

While kept captive in their home, the only thing the children were allowed to do was write in journals, Hestrin said. The hundreds of journals have been recovered and authorities are pouring through them, he said.

Hestrin told ABC News he thinks the journals were likely able to document what was happening in the home in real-time.

"My guess is that’s going to be powerful evidence about what was happening from the perspective of the victims," he said, adding, "We have a lot of evidence to go through. We’ve got the journals to go through, more interviews to do."

A courageous escape

The siblings -- ages 2 to 29 -- were rescued after a 17-year-old girl escaped and alerted authorities to what was happening. Another sibling was going to escape with the 17-year-old but turned back because she was frightened, prosecutors said.

"It took great courage for her to do that after all those years, and that's all she knows," Hestrin said of the escape. "She obviously has the personality that she's going to risk herself for others and she did that and she managed to get out. And we're very glad that she did. I don't know how long this would have continued and I don't know what the end result would have been."

Hestrin called the teen the "bright spot" in the tragic story.

"To think she mustered the courage under those circumstances," he said, "maybe it is a testament to the human will and the will to survive."

Severe malnourishment

The victims have since been hospitalized for treatment. Doctors told ABC News the siblings were starved for years.

All the victims except for the toddler are severely malnourished, Hestrin said at a press conference Thursday, adding that the eldest victim -- a 29-year-old woman -- weighs only 82 pounds. He said another child, a 12-year-old, is the weight of an average 7-year-old.

Motive not clear

"It feels like a bottomless pit," Hestrin said of the case. "We don’t know where the bottom is."

"You’ve got parents that are torturing their children causing them pain causing them suffering over a prolonged period of time through malnourishment, through physical abuse, through psychological abuse. ... It's horrific," he said. "It's hard to believe that it happens in today’s society, but it does."

He said the motive is not clear.

"We’ll learn more as we peel back the onion here, as we look into those journals, as we go through painstakingly all the evidence, all the physical artifacts that are in that house," Hestrin said.

"Nothing that we're going to do is going to completely undo what's been done to them," he said. "All we can do going forward is make sure that we do the best by them to make sure that there taken care of. "

David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, have each been charged with 12 counts of torture, 12 counts of false imprisonment, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult and six counts of child abuse. David Turpin was also charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under the age of 14 by force, fear or duress. They have pleaded not guilty.

If convicted, they each face a potential sentence of about 94 years to life in prison.

"We’re asking the public to reach out if they have any information about the case," Hestrin said.

Anyone with information can call the tip line at the Riverside District Attorney's Office at 888-934-KIDS.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) --  With a stroller and a Facebook post, a New York City mom was able to collect 20,000 diapers to donate to families in need.

Audrey Symes, a consultant and mom to a then 2-year-old, was looking for a way to volunteer in her free time. So she called the Good Plus Foundation and asked them if she could help out, perhaps by updating spreadsheets.

But what they really needed, Symes told ABC News, was diapers.

"I had never heard of this need," Symes said. "My daughter was till in diapers. I couldn't stop thinking about it."

So she posted to a popular Facebook group called UES Mommas, which has about 30,000 members. "I was hoping to get 500 diapers with that post," she said. "I got about 1,200."

Symes collected the diapers by walking around the neighborhood and picking them up from moms or in building package rooms. She was inspired.

"There are so many reasons why you might have leftover diapers," she said. "The child moves to a different size or you decide to potty train. If I had one message I want to get out it's that you can donate open packages of diapers."

For people who want to donate but don't live close enough to get their diapers to Symes, the National Diaper Bank Network can help.

"By focusing on diaper need, the National Diaper Bank Network (NDBN) works to meet the basic needs of all children and families living in the United States," Joanne Goldblum, CEO of NDBN told ABC News. "Our mission is to raise awareness of diaper need, strengthen community-based diaper banks, and generate donations of dollars and diapers, so that all babies remain clean, dry and healthy."

The issue of not having diapers, she said, extends well beyond the obvious.

"Most child care centers require parents to provide the diapers their children use, many parents do not use child care when they do not have clean diapers so they either miss work or school, or use less optimum child care for the day," Goldblum said.

In a survey taken by the organization of families in diaper need taken this past summer, 57 percent said that they missed work or school because of a lack of diapers that month.

Goldblum shared with ABC News the story of how a lack of diapers was truly affecting one family's quality of life.

"They didn’t have a lot, but they worked hard to make ends meet. So when the husband, who served in the Army reserves, got deployed overseas, their plans and financial stability were interrupted. He made significantly less [money] during this time. The wife quit school and got a part time job, but the cost of daycare for their 8-month-old and transportation still made it difficult to pay their bills.

"Sometimes, she had to call out of work because she had to choose between buying gas or diapers. She learned about her local diaper bank from another military spouse and began getting help with diapers and baby essentials. Getting help with the diapers and wipes had a tremendous impact on this family’s ability to provide the basic necessities and work towards a better future and she didn’t have to choose between buying diapers or gas."

The organization collects more than 250,000 diapers a month.

There are hundreds of diaper banks around the nation, and people can find their local diaper bank on the organization's website. They also can donate directly to NDBN on that website.

Since that first Facebook post in June of 2016, Symes has continued collecting in her neighborhood, to the tune of 20,000 diapers so far. She collects the majority of them as she did in that very first round: walking her stroller from building to building.

"It's my passion," she said. "I want to prevent a child from a rash or enable a mom to work."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(HOUSTON) --  Police in suburban Houston are looking for two bandits who got away with more than $2 million worth of jewelry. The brazen smash-and-grab robbery on Jan. 10 was all captured on the store’s surveillance video.

In the video from Hutton's Jewelry & Gifts, a man is seen asking a clerk about an engagement ring in a glass display case, according to Houston ABC station KTRK. The man next to him pulls out a hammer and quickly shatters the glass while the employee tries to avoid glass fragments.

The first man grabs jewelry from the case as the other starts heading toward the door. Before leaving, he smashes a second display case with the hammer. His accomplice is seen taking items from that one too before fleeing.

According to police, the first suspect wore a black jacket with a red and black Chicago Bulls baseball cap and faded blue jeans. He is in his early 30s, about 200 pounds and stands about 5-foot-10.

The suspect with the hammer appears to be wearing a white floppy bucket hat, black jacket and faded blue jeans. He weighs around 220 pounds and is 6-foot tall, police said.

In December, Houston police say that two men broke into Deutsch & Deutsch Jewelers before it opened for the day. Those robbers rappelled from a hole in the roof into the store. They got away by leaping from that store’s roof to another building in the River Oaks neighborhood. It was unknown if the robberies were related.

“We have not connected our suspects to any other cases, but it’s a safe bet they’ve done this before,” Doug Adolph, Sugar Land City spokesperson, told ABC News.

The Sugar Land Police Department has asked anyone with a tip reach out to (281) 275-2540 or the Fort Bend County Crime Stoppers at (281) 342-TIPS.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEWARK, N.J.) -- A television film crew was arrested on Thursday after attempting to pass a suspicious item with "all of the makings of an improvised explosive device" through security at Newark Liberty International Airport.

“At least seven individuals have been arrested by Port Authority Police after Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officers detected a suspicious item in a carry-on bag,” said TSA in a statement.

A preliminary investigation revealed some members of the group intentionally carried the item through the security checkpoint while others in the group covertly filmed the encounter. Their goal was to see whether or not the TSA would detect the item, which was concealed in a rolling bag.

TSA officers did in fact detect it, and the film crew was arrested on multiple charges.

The Star-Ledger reported that the crew was filming for cable network CNBC.

The perpetrators face possible civil penalties by TSA, and can be charged over $13,000 per security violation.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed

Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- A new report states that right-wing extremists were responsible for the majority of extremist murders in the U.S. in 2017.

Jewish group the Anti-Defamation League compiled the report, noting how the murders committed by white supremacists included some linked to the "alt-right" -- shorthand for the "alternative right" -- which it states “expanded its operations in 2017 from the internet into the physical world.”

The report includes white supremacists and individuals who identify with the alt-right movement as part of its "right-wing" classification.

“Energized by the 2016 election and the media attention given to the movement, alt-right adherents … increasingly involved themselves in the real world as well as the virtual realm,” the report states.

Of the 34 murders in 2017 that the ADL examined in the report, 20 were committed by people who have ties to far-right extremism, including white supremacists.

There were a number of other high-profile fatal incidents, but the parameters of the report mean that some of the most deadly incidents from 2017 were not included.

For instance, the Las Vegas country music festival shooting and the church shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas, were not included in the report because there was not confirmed evidence of a connection to any specific extremist group or ideology in either of those incidents. The report notes that extremist-related killings only make up “a small fraction” of the number of homicides in the U.S. in a given year.

John Cohen, a former counterterrorism coordinator for the Department of Homeland Security and current ABC News consultant, said that the report is valuable but needs to be put in context.

"In one respect, the ADL report confirms what law enforcement leaders have known for months -- that when it comes to ideologically motivated violence, the primary threat comes not from immigrants but from individuals who reside legally or were born here in the United States," Cohen said. "On another respect, the report understates the threat facing the U.S. in that it doesn't include non-ideologically motivated mass casualty attacks such as those that occurred in Las Vegas and Sutherland Springs."

Among the high-profile homicides that were included are two vehicular-based attacks: the attack by a white supremacist in Charlottesville, Virginia, at the “Unite the Right” protest that left counter-protester Heather Heyer dead, and the truck-ramming incident on a bike path in New York City that left eight people dead. Sayfullo Saipov, an Uzbek national who police said was inspired by ISIS, has been charged in the New York case. The bike path attack was the single deadliest extremist incident in 2017, the report states. The report also notes that 2017 was the second year in a row with deadly attacks by black nationalists.

In spite of the deadliest death toll stemming from an incident involving an Islamic extremist, it still marks a significantly smaller portion of the extremist death count from the previous year, since 2016 included the Pulse nightclub attack, which killed 49 people and was carried out by a self-professed ISIS supporter.

By contrast, the 20 far-right extremist homicides mark a dramatic uptick from the year prior, with 59 percent of this year’s total being attributed to that category as opposed to only 20 percent in 2016. This doesn’t surprise experts at the ADL, however.

“Increased real-world activity by the alt-right could result in more alliances or crossover between the alt-right supporters and other elements of the white supremacist movement,” said Oren Segal, the director of the ADL’s Center on Extremism. “Violence is very widely accepted, ideologically and culturally, within the white supremacist movement and therefore any increase in real-world activity by the alt-right could also result in more real-world violence by its adherents.”

Heidi Beirich, the director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), said that the ADL report is "reinforcing a broad trend: that right-wing extremism remains very deadly."

She cited a 2015 SPLC report which stated that a right-wing terrorist attack had either been attempted or succeeded every 34 days between 2010 and 2015.

Right-wing extremism is "an important issue, one that has been largely ignored ... and shouldn't be because it's deadly just like all forms of terrorism," Beirich said.

"White supremacy is indigenous [in the U.S.] It's been here since the founding of our country," she said, contrasting it to foreign extremism like the attackers responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks.

"If you don't keep your eye on that ball, that's the one that's not going anywhere unfortunately," Beirich said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC/Randy Sager(NEWARK, N.J.) -- Chris Christie has only been the ex-governor of New Jersey for two days but he has already felt the loss of at least one perk of the job.

Christie was rebuffed while attempting to pass through a gate access point at Newark Liberty International Airport he used as governor, according to a person with knowledge of the incident.

It would have allowed Christie to enter the secure side of the airport without going through screening.

A state trooper was escorting Christie at the time. While the New Jersey State Police declined to comment about this specific incident, the agency did say an outgoing governor is afforded a security escort for up to six months following completion of his term.

Port Authority Police and a TSA officer eventually redirected Christie to the regular checkpoint, and the former governor went through the usual security screening.

At all times Christie was cordial, the person familiar with the incident said, and did not object to going through regular screening just like the other passengers.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

aijohn784/iStock/Thinkstock(HARRISBURG, Pa.) -- A 45-year-old U.S. Marshal was shot and killed Thursday morning as he and other officers were ambushed by gunfire while trying to serve a warrant to a woman in Pennsylvania's capital.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Christopher David Hill, a married father of two and an Army veteran who served in Afghanistan, was part of a fugitive task force that was fired upon while executing a warrant for the arrest of Shayla Lynette Towles Pierce, wanted by Harrisburg police on suspicion of illegal possession of a firearm, simple assault and making terrorist threat offenses, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.

After entering the residence on the 1800 block of Mulberry Street, task force officers placed Pierce in handcuffs and noticed several children on the second floor, said David Freed, the U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

"At that point, the officers heard gunfire that appeared to emanate from the second floor of the residence," Freed said.

A man, later identified by the U.S. Department of Justice as Kevin Sturgis, 31, of Philadelphia, had opened fire on the officers.

Hill and officer Kyle Pitts, a 10-year veteran of the York City Police Department, were struck by bullets, Freed said. Other task force members quickly removed the wounded officers out the back of the house and set up a perimeter.

"Preliminary indications from the investigation indicate that a male individual then exited the front of residence firing at law enforcement officers," Freed said. "Gunfire was returned and that male was killed in front of the residence."

Sturgis was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hill and Pitts were taken to a hospital, where Hill died and Pitts was undergoing surgery for non-life-threatening injuries.

"None of us has sufficient words to express our grief and sorrow," Freed said. "The Hills have lost a father, a son, a brother far too soon. Our community has lost a hero, who was doing nothing more than his duty."

Freed said the investigation was being led by the FBI and that it was too early to say why the gunman opened fire.

Sturgis had two active warrants for his arrest, including one for failure to appear for sentencing for illegal possession of a firearm, the Department of Justice said in a press release. Sturgis also had a juvenile adjudication, the same as a conviction in adult court, for rape.

U.S. Marshal Martin Pane said Hill had been a member of the agency for 11 years and initially assigned to the U.S. Marshals service at the superior court in Washington, D.C., before transferring to the Harrisburg office in 2009.

Hill was highly involved in the 2014 manhunt for Eric Matthew Frein, the domestic terrorist and murderer sentenced to death for an attack on a Pennsylvania State Police barracks that killed a state trooper. Hill led a large group of U.S. Marshals, FBI agents and state troopers in pursuit of Frein through the Pennsylvania woods.

Hill served in Afghanistan from 1993 to 1996. As a U.S. Marshal, Hill returned to help the country set up a judicial system and received the U.S. Marshals service distinguished group award for his "significant contributions in Afghanistan." Hill also was a trained explosives breacher and a firearms and tactical training officer, Pane said.

"Deputy Hill made the ultimate sacrifice," said Pane, holding back tears. "Deputy Hill served the American people and the citizens of this community with courage. He will be missed and words cannot say how much."

Dauphin County District Attorney Fran Chardo said his office is in charge of investigating the officer-involved shooting, in keeping with county protocol.

"Based on the fact that the dead suspect opened fire first, it appears, preliminarily," Chardo said, "that it was a justified used of deadly force."

Pierce was arrested and is being held on $200,000 bail.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Ruskpp/iStock/Thinkstock(LUMBERTON, N.C.) -- It's been seven months since the bodies of three women were found just weeks apart within a four-block radius in North Carolina, and investigators still don't have answers about what happened to them.

The FBI on Wednesday announced a reward of up to $30,000 for information that helps investigators determine the circumstances that led to the deaths of Christina Bennett, Rhonda Jones and Megan Oxendine in Lumberton, a city located some 95 miles south of the state's capital.

Bennett was found dead inside a house on Peachtree Street on April 18, 2017. Jones' body was found outside a house on East 5th Street on the same day.

Oxendine was found dead outside a house on East 8th Street on June 3, 2017. That month, the Lumberton Police Department requested assistance from the FBI in the three separate death investigations.

A cause of death has not yet been determined for any of the women, according to the FBI.

Authorities on Wednesday urged anyone who came into contact with the women to come forward to help investigators create a timeline of when and where they were last seen alive.

“Every part of our work as law enforcement benefits from help we receive from the public. We need the community’s assistance, the people’s eyes and ears, information from friends and neighbors," John Strong, special agent in charge of the FBI in North Carolina, said in a statement. "So we ask you to pick up the phone and call us. Tell us what you know, what you heard, and what you saw."

Lumberton Police Chief Michael McNeill previously said it was unclear whether there is a connection between the three deaths, which have haunted the community.

“As police chief and as a member of this community, I want to know what happened to Christina, Rhonda and Megan. I also understand there is a lot of uncertainty, concern and even fear right now," McNeill said in a statement Wednesday. "Let me reassure you that we are committed to finding out the answers. We hope the people of Lumberton will help us."

Anyone with information regarding when and where the women were last seen is asked to call the FBI's Charlotte field office at 704-672-6100.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Alex_Schmidt/iStock/Thinkstock(PHOENIX) -- A homicide suspect in Arizona is accused of committing nine murders in just three weeks, Phoenix police said Thursday.

Cleophus Cooksey Jr., 35, has been in custody since the last of the nine alleged killings on Dec. 17 when police say he shot and killed his mother and stepfather.

But after he was arrested, police kept "digging," Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams said, and discovered seven other fatal shootings in the area they say are connected to Cooksey.

The nine homicides spanned from Nov. 27 to Dec. 17 in Phoenix and nearby Avondale and Glendale, police said.

Phoenix Police Sgt. Jon Howard said police believe there may be more victims and said they were flooded with tips called in from the public.

Here is the timeline of crimes, according to police:

Nov. 27:

Two men -- Andrew Remillard and Parker Smith -- were found dead in a car in a parking lot. They were each shot once in the head, according to court documents. A motive has not been determined.

Dec. 2:

A man identified as Salim Richards was in a "physical struggle with the suspect during the shooting" that left him dead, according to court documents. A gun and a necklace were taken from the victim, and on Dec. 3 Cooksey posted a Facebook video showing him wearing a similar necklace, according to court documents. Cooksey was also wearing a similar necklace when he was arrested weeks later, according to court documents.

Cooksey stole the gun from Richards, a security guard, and used it in the following six murders, according to Howard.

Dec. 11:

Cooksey allegedly killed his girlfriend's brother hours after the girlfriend apparently broke up with him, according to court documents.

On Dec. 11 between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m., Cooksey went into an Avondale apartment and used a stolen gun to fatally shoot a man named Jesus Real two times in the face at close range while Real was laying on his side, apparently sleeping, according to court documents. The gun used was stolen from a previous murder victim, court documents say.

Real's sister was dating Cooksey, and Cooksey stayed over at this Avondale apartment where the family lived several nights a week, according to court documents. Real's sister told police Cooksey was her ex and they broke up the night before, and he left the house around 7 a.m. on Dec. 11, court documents say.

Dec. 13:

On Dec. 13, a man named Latorrie Beckford was found shot dead on the ground next to an apartment complex parking lot with two gunshot wounds to his head.

Witnesses told police they heard two gunshots and "when they approached they observed a dark-skinned black male” walking from “close proximity to where the victim was lying," court documents state.

"Witnesses reported the black male pulled out a black semi-auto handgun after being seen by them," the court documents say.

Witnesses said earlier in the day, Beckford was in an altercation with two other men, court documents state. A photo of Cooksey was later shown to one of the witnesses who said the photo was very close to the man she saw in an altercation with Beckford. That assault reportedly took place about three hours before the shooting, the court documents states.

Witnesses said Cooksey was known as "Playboy" at the apartment complex, and in an interview in January, Cooksey admitted to investigators "he goes by the nickname 'Playboy' because of how good he is with women," court documents say.

Dec. 15:

A man named Kristopher Cameron was shot in the neck and abdomen at an apartment complex, court documents say.

When officers arrived at the west entry gate, a man told police "my cousin has been shot" and he directed officers to where the shooting victim was, according to court documents.

Witnesses said "a black male was observed removing the victim's backpack from him then leaving on foot," court documents say.

After Cooksey was identified as the suspect, that first responding officer "was interviewed and shown a photo of the person he spoke with at the west entry gate. That confirmed Cooksey was the person he spoke with who told him 'my cousin has been shot,'" court documents state.

Cameron was hospitalized and later died. Authorities said Cameron had met Cooksey for a drug deal.

Dec. 15:

Also on Dec. 15, Cooksey was seen on surveillance cameras going into an apartment complex, court documents say. Victim Maria Villanueva was seen parking her car that apartment complex, where she was headed to visit her boyfriend, documents state. The suspect is seen going to her car and watching her, and after several minutes, interacting with her, documents state; at one point, they drive away together. Authorities said she was sexually assaulted. She was found shot to death in an alley, naked from the waist down, documents say.

Cooksey later told police "he did not know how she was killed which he also said about all of the other victims related to these crimes," the documents say.

Cameron and Villanueva were killed with the same gun, according to documents.

Dec. 17:

Cooksey's mother and stepfather, Rene Cooksey and Edward Nunn, were shot dead at a home. When police responded, Cleophus Cooksey opened the door and said nothing was going on and no one else was home, according to court documents.

Cleophus Cooksey came outside with blood on him, and when an officer tried to detain him, "he yelled out to the officer he controlled the gun, would slit the officer's throat, he was the strongest man alive, and he took care of the snitches for Donald Trump," according to the court documents.

Cleophus Cooksey was arrested that night and has been jailed since.

Suspect is 'off the streets'

Glendale Police Chief Rick St. John said the cases came together thanks to a patrol officer who answered the call and was "doing the right things: Taking a person into custody, recognizing there were abnormalities to his behavior. He was trying to conceal what was going on. The officer very appropriately took the right actions. ... And that all occurred before the agencies really started to collaborate."

He said he is "proud as heck" that the suspect is "off the streets."

When asked if there could be more victims, police said that is a "distinct possibility" and a "concern of our investigators."

Police said Cleophus Cooksey had been in prison for about 16 years after being involved in an armed robbery. After his release from prison, he was in and out of jail, police said.

Officials said Phoenix is one of the few cities chosen by the Department of Justice for the National Crime Gun Intelligence Center Initiative, which allowed the Phoenix police to test shell casings at their headquarters; testing that used to take weeks can now take just hours.

Authorities said they expect people in the community to have information to help piece together the relationships and possible motives. Anyone with information is asked to call authorities.

In an interview in January, Cleophus Cooksey "denied having committed any murders but did admit to being in certain places which matched with" evidence from electronic devices, according to court documents.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(MALIBU, Calif.) -- A three-story home in Malibu, California, was seen teetering near the top of a canyon following recent mudslides.

Photos and video showed the foundation of a multimillion-dollar home crumbling, as its retaining wall had partially collapsed.

"We did find a good amount of water there," Los Angeles County Fire Department Inspector Randall Wright told ABC station KABC-TV in Los Angeles. "We don't know if it was in the earth itself or possibly even a sprinkler."

Engineers continued to investigate the home in the 2800 block of Hume Road on Thursday.

"There's a section of the backyard, about 250 feet long by 60 feet wide, and as that earth slid down, it collapsed a portion of the retaining wall," Wright told ABC News in a telephone interview.

No other homes nearby are threatened by the potential landslide, with the canyon below the property empty, and no injuries were reported, Wright said.

Any risk of the home's plummeting into the canyon was "very small," he added.

The homeowners were said to be out of town, according to several neighbors and fire officials.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(PERRIS, Calif.) --  The California parents accused of starving and shackling their 13 children allegedly forced them to shower only once a year, never took them to a dentist, and strangled and beat them routinely, prosecutors said Thursday.

David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, were arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment after their children were found Sunday at their home. The Riverside County Sheriff's Office described the residence as "dark and foul-smelling."

The "depraved" details were shared in a press conference led by Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin Thursday.

The abuse intensified when the family moved from Texas to California, Hestrin said. The victims reported that the punishments started many years ago with their parents tying them up, first with ropes. When one victim was able to escape the ropes, "these defendants eventually began using chains and padlocks," Hestrin said.

The punishments lasted weeks or months at a time, he said.

The victims weren't released from their chains even to go to the bathroom, Hestrin said. They were also not allowed to shower more than once a year, he said.

If the children washed their hands above the wrist, they were accused of playing in the water and were chained up, Hestrin said. None have ever seen a dentist and they haven't been to a doctor in over four years, he added.

The children were not allowed to have toys, although many toys were found in the house in their original packaging, never opened, Hestrin said.

The family would "sleep all day" and be "up all night," typically going to sleep around 4 or 5 a.m., he said.

The children were rescued Sunday after one of the children -- a 17-year-old girl -- allegedly escaped through a window and called 911. Responding officers said the teen was slightly emaciated and "appeared to be only 10 years old."

Hestrin said the 17-year-old worked on a plan to escape for more than two years with her siblings. He said another sibling escaped with her, but that sibling became afraid and returned to the house.

When authorities arrived, three victims were discovered chained up, Hestrin said, adding that the Turpins managed to get two victims unchained before deputies entered. He said a 22-year-old old remained chained to the bed when officials came inside.

All the victims are severely malnourished, Hestrin said, adding that the eldest victim -- a 29-year-old woman -- weighs only 82 pounds. He said another child, a 12-year-old, is the weight of an average 7-year-old.

The victims have since been hospitalized for treatment. Doctors told ABC News the siblings were starved for years.

The children were homeschooled but Hestrin said that at least one of the older victims attended some outside classes. "Louise Turpin would accompany him, wait outside the classroom for him. When he was finished with class, she would take him home," Hestrin said.

Hestin added that prosecutors believe all the children were born at hospitals.

Child Protective Services said it is receiving calls from around the world from people who want to help the siblings financially. Because the agency does not want the siblings to be taxed for the money they receive, it is setting up a fund for them to go through the Riverside County Regional Medical Center Foundation. All GoFundMe campaigns that claim they benefit the siblings are fake, CPS said.

The agency also listed the clothes that are needed for the adult patients, which are almost all in children's sizes, a graphic released by Corona Chamber of Commerce showed.

Criminal charges were filed Thursday against the parents, including torture. The Turpins are expected to be arraigned Thursday, where they will be represented by attorneys with the Riverside County Public Defender's Office.

If convicted on all charges, they face up to 94 years to life in prison, officials said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- You might think you know the full story of the so-called alt-right, known for their venomous racism and virulent anti-feminism. But a new documentary is shedding light on what it says is one of the most surprising roots of the movement: Sexual frustration.

Author Angela Nagle spent more than a year exploring the online origins of the current alt-right movement, which she says included communities of single men looking for advice on “picking up” women. She said many of these so-called pick-up artists argued that feminism was part of what made attracting women so difficult.

Nagle’s report can be found in the new Fusion documentary, Trumpland: Kill All Normies.

“It definitely did start out with the picking up women stuff,” Nagle told ABC News’ Nightline.

It’s a world that appears riddled with extensive and seemingly innocuous terminology, like “manosphere,” “men’s rights” and “incels.”

“[Incels] are involuntarily celibate men. And so, the incel kind of forum world was very much about expressing your frustration about being celibate. That was really the place where the endless conversations about essentially, ‘Why am I still celibate,’ turned into civilizational and racial and kind of big questions about the idea that essentially the whole sexual liberation project was a mistake,” said Nagle.

Extreme right wing movement gains momentum in Europe, echoes heard around the world

The documentary traces a community of men who act on their frustrations, which began with their grievances against women but later expanded and found footing on social media.

Twitter, as shown in the documentary, has been particularly useful to help these individuals organize and to speak up when they felt their voice wasn’t being heard.

In the documentary, Nagle explained how the idea of “trolling” on Twitter and other social media channels turned out to be clever on the part of the community. “Internet trolls” are known for their social media posts on divisive issues. Nagle said this tactic may be one of the reasons that people didn’t see the alt-right movement forming.

As Nagle says in Trumpland: Kill All Normies, “There was for years beforehand this idea of trolling and this idea that it's all irony. It's all playful. That was the most clever thing they did because it allowed them to actually kind of hide their politics.”

This guise of irreverence online towards others who didn’t share their views allowed the burgeoning alt-right movement to push back at an increasingly vocal community that seemed to emphasize being politically correct.

“I think what happened ... with millennials essentially, who, you know, came of age online and became political online, [is that] they came into contact with these kind of ultra [politically correct] highly sensitive cultures online, which actually allowed them to be quite funny, you know, and to kind of poke fun at the earnestness of these kind of ultra-sensitive language policing online cultures,” Nagle explained to Nightline.

In a way, the alt-right also gained momentum from its enemies on the left, Nagle said.

“You also had a culture that was on the cultural left, which was about gender fluidity and kind of taking the cultural gains of the left to the next stage,” Nagle said in the documentary. “These kind of online environments, you could say, of the left were both kind of ultra-sensitive and incredibly cruel and inclined towards sort of quite mob like behavior [that] people needed [in order] to show that they were virtuous.”

The alt-right also appeared to receive an enormous injection of energy after Trump’s election.

“And when Donald Trump is nasty ... [he] is a magnificent internet troll,” Tolito said in the documentary. “He is an expert at trafficking and outrage and committing outrage and being outraged himself.”

And some members of the alt-right took their movement from online into real life in at Charlottesville, Virginia, last summer, when far-right extremists gathered for a “Unite the Right” event.

“I think Charlottesville you know revealed the really hard right politics behind it that wasn't ironic and that that wasn't a joke,” Nagle said in the documentary.

Nagle said the alt-right is “quite strategically clever” and knows that they can potentially drive a wedge into where there is already tension on the left.

The solution, Nagle said, lies not on the ideological extremes, but instead with the rest of us, the so-called “normies,” and finding a way to co-exist.

“For generations it has been the countercultures of the left that have assumed the posture of anti-establishment rebellion against the hectoring moralism of the conservative right,” Nagle said. “Today those roles have been reversed. It is now the left that is the gatekeeper of conventional morality the alt right the agent of subversion.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(BOYNTON BEACH, Fla.) -- Two people have died in Florida after being struck by new high-speed Brightline trains on the state's East Coast Railway tracks, sparking concerns about pedestrian safety and calls for a federal investigation.

Brightline, whose trains run across several car crossings in South Florida, has been linked to two pedestrian fatalities since it debuted its passenger service there less than a week ago.

The most recent fatality occurred on Wednesday afternoon when a bicyclist was struck and killed by one of the company’s high-speed passenger trains in Boynton Beach, Florida, about 30 miles north of Fort Lauderdale.

The victim, identified as 51-year-old Jeffrey D. King, of Boynton Beach, was trying to beat the fast-approaching train when he rode around the safety gates, which were down at the time, and attempted to cross the tracks, police said.

Another pedestrian, Melissa Lavell, 32, was fatally struck on Friday while trying to cross the tracks in Boynton Beach, according to police. The gates were down on that occasion as well.

In the aftermath of the fatalities, U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., wrote a letter to the Department of Transportation on Wednesday, calling for a federal investigation into the security of the state’s track crossings.

Nelson, the top Democrat on the Senate Commerce Committee, said Palm Beach County, Florida, where the accidents occurred, was “one of the highest counties for such incidents” and said the situation required “urgent attention.”

“In Florida, we have seen the challenges of addressing grade crossing safety, where according to 2016 data the state is in the top ten for fatalities and collisions,” Nelson wrote, according to a copy of the letter obtained by ABC News. “Tragically, this trend is continuing with two recent fatalities in Boynton Beach involving the Brightline high-speed train.

“While these investigations are ongoing, I urge you to examine these incidents and to review the safety of rail crossings, particularly for higher speed trains,” he added.

Brightline, which plans to expand into Miami and Orlando soon, said it was cooperating with the investigation. It currently runs between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale.

"Brightline continues to reinforce awareness and education," the company said in a statement. "It is critical that the public remains attentive when near any active railroad, always obey the laws and respect the safety devices that are in place to protect the public.

“Never try to beat a train," it added.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(DALLAS) -- Passengers on an American Airlines flight suffered some tense moments on Thursday after they were instructed to brace for impact as their plane made an emergency landing due to mechanical issues. The entire frightening incident was recorded by a passenger.

In a video from passenger Steve Ramsthel, a flight attendant tells passengers, “you will need to be seated in a brace position for landing.”

The plane, operated by Mesa Airlines, was traveling from Phoenix and ultimately landed safely at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

Ramsthel told Phoenix ABC affiliate KNXV that he could smell smoke in the plane.

"There were some people crossing themselves, but I thought the adrenaline was high and everybody just cooperated," Ramsthel said. "It was pretty amazing to be honest with you."

Ramsthel, who is a certified pilot, said passengers remained calm and the captain and crew handled the situation very well.

American Airlines later released a statement, saying, “A flight made an emergency landing on January 17 due to mechanical issues stemming from a broken fan. There were no reported injuries.”

The plane has been inspected, and is now back in service, according to the airline.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

(ABC News) An investigation is underway in Perris, Calif., after 13 siblings ages 2 to 29 were allegedly held captive in a home, some shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks, authorities said.(PERRIS, Calif.) -- The 13 siblings who were rescued from their parents' home, where they had been allegedly held captive, starved and, in some cases, shackled, were seen walking military-style, single-file, according to a former neighbor.

The brothers and sisters -- ages two to 29 -- were found at their parents' home in Perris, California, Sunday, where some were allegedly "shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings," the Riverside County Sheriff's Office said. They appeared malnourished and dirty, the sheriff's department said.

The victims have since been hospitalized for treatment while their parents, Louise Turpin and David Turpin, have been arrested.

Louise Turpin’s sister Elizabeth Flores told ABC News she hasn't seen her sister in 20 years, but recalled how the children's lives were extremely regimented when she lived with them two decades earlier. Flores said the children had to ask permission to speak, and said they would look to their mother for cues about whether they could answer her when Flores tried to talk to them.

Flores, who was in her late teens at the time, said her sister wouldn't allow her to invite friends over or allow her to call friends. She also described disturbing incidents involving her sister allegedly watching her shower with her husband, though she stressed that David Turpin never touched her.

Flores emphasized that she never witnessed any abuse of the children while she lived in the home. She added that she cares about her nieces and nephews greatly and hopes to see them overcome what they endured, saying that she wants them to know that she loves them and that family members tried to visit them over the years.

Mike Clifford, a neighbor of the family at their former home in Murrieta, California, works the overnight shift and said he’d come home at midnight and see the children in the upstairs rooms marching from room to room, single-file. The marching would last for hours, he told ABC News.

On the few occasions that Clifford’s wife saw any of the children, she said they answered in unison, in a monotone and robotic way, according to Clifford.

Multiple neighbors said they only saw the children when they would pile in their family van late at night. They would also only return late at night.

The victims were found after one of the children -- a 17-year-old girl -- allegedly escaped from the Southern California home through a window Sunday morning and called 911. Responding officers said the teen was slightly emaciated and "appeared to be only 10 years old."

Seven of the alleged victims were adults and the others were children as young as two.

David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, were arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment, the sheriff's office said, and are expected to be arraigned Thursday. They will be represented by attorneys with the Riverside County Public Defender's Office.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Keyword Search

On Facebook

Music News

US 102.3 Opinion Poll
What do your favorite weekend activity?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.